Saturday, December 27, 2008

defriending: the ultimate betrayal

i would really like to address a phenomenon that, after some discussion with friends, is apparently just as disturbing and offensive to others as it is to me.

it starts as a classic college routine: you attend a friend's party/shindig/get together or meet someone that you have a nice lil' chat with on the first day of classes, and one of you adds the other as a friend on facebook. unfortunately, for whatever reason, your friendship never develops beyond that point. fine, whatever, at least you can still stalk each other on facebook, you think! no biggie. until one day when you a) decide to see what so-and-so is up to or b) you see that they wrote on a friend's wall and try to click and see their profile, and facebook brutally rebuffs you by denying you access to their profile.

could it be? could you really have been "defriended"?! i mean, sure, you never talked to them since that initial exchange, and didn't really have any intention of doing so in the future, but c'mon, what kind of person literally goes through their list of facebook friends and specifically removes an innocent person with malicious intent like that?? it's pure evil, i say. and i vow never to delete anyone, no matter how annoying their frequent status updates are. it's just plain cruel!

...in other news, christmas was good. you know you're getting old when you get excited about a new coffee pot, carry-on bag, and external hard drive. siiiiigh. i also stuffed my face with la carreta yesterday with kristi, and we decided to see that will smith movie, "seven pounds." please, please see it. you won't understand it 'til the end, but what a fabulous, fabulous film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

that has happened to me before, and I have been offended, but I can't say I haven't done it before.

I just don't understand staying friends with people who I haven't spoken to or thought about in years.

In a related story, someone I was acquaintances with in high school requested to be my friend and I denied her because I wasn't friends with her in the first place, the last time we saw each other was five years ago, and since I no longer live in the area, we will likely never run into each other or develop a friendship. She didn't get the hint: a week later, another friend request from her. I caved. Limited profile it is.

kim said...

haha, i definitely see that point. i guess it's just the creeper in me that enjoys being able to lurk at will.