Monday, January 26, 2009

oh, the perils of social networking!




silly me. for a moment, i thought terms like "the digital space" and "developing your personal brand" were only used by pretentious emersonites during DOTM (diarrhea of the mouth) attacks in class. but as i've gotten deeper and deeper into the job hunt, i'm slowly realizing that social media is the wave of the future, man. and i might just not be able to live- or succeed in my career- without fully embracing it. but can i keep up?!

you see, i've always considered myself to be at least semi-hip and interested in the next big thing. myspace? i was there (though now, you couldn't pay me to update my profile more than once every 6 months.) facebook? sure. back in the days of livejournal, i was the queen of updates and comments, i assure you!

but now, i'm supposed to be blogging and tweeting and linked in and digging and well-versed in "web 2.0", and it's really becoming all too much to handle. i mean, whatever happened to a good ol' fashioned poke on facebook? isn't that helping to expand my network, too?

sure, i'm signed up for most of those previously-mentioned sites (i have to at least make an effort!) but someone just might need to save me before i drown in the sea of social media.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear ya! I started typing a response, but it turned into more of a rant about the pressure to be constantly connected to everyone you've ever known, so I'll just leave it at that and say that as an "IT Professional," I hope all that matters is that we are familiar enough with these services to be able to support our clients, but that doesn't mean we have to use them all ourselves. Think of all the updating we'd have to do! We'd never get any work done!

(My comment was also going to end there, but as I scrolled down to "Choose an identity" to comment with, I thought that pretty much said it all!)

kim said...

seriously, it's wearing me out! trying to be active and "network" on all of these different technologies is truly exhausting. i do love the wonder of computers, but sometimes i wish we were back in the "good ol' days", haha.